A shepherd’s pie made with our grass-fed Beef, pastured Pork & home grown potatoes.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Potatoes: 5-6 Large, any kind roughly chopped (I like to leave the skin on)
- Kosher Salt: 1 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper: ½ tsp
- Mayonnaise: 1 Cup
- Garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- Good Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
- Blue Ridge Farms Ground Beef: 3/4 lb
- Blue Ridge Farms Ground Pork: 3/4 lb
- White Onion: 1 medium, diced
- Taco Season: 1 Package
- Water: 1 Cup
- Carrots or Peas: 1 Cup
- Corn: 1 Cup
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: 1 Cup
- Dried Parsley: 1 tbsp, garnish
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Carefully add chopped potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- While potatoes are cooking, place a large cast iron skillet on medium heat and add oil. Once warm, add ground beef and ground pork. Stir constantly to break up little pieces. When nearly thoroughly cooked (no more pink) add diced onion. Stir.
- Add taco seasoning and water to the meat mixture. Once thoroughly cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add frozen peas and corn to meat mixture and stir.
- Once potatoes are cooked, strain and mash. Add salt, pepper, mayonnaise and garlic. Stir until smooth. Add extra mayo if desired!
- In the cast iron skillet, layer potato mixture on top of meat mixture. Spread cheese over top, garnish with parsley and cook uncovered at 350*F for 45 mins.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 mins. Serves 4-6.
p.s This recipe also tastes amazing with grass-fed ground lamb. Ask us where to find some.