USE THIS SIMPLE RECIPE & ENJOY SOMETHING TRULY INCREDIBLE!
Recipe originated from Chef John! It is designed to produce a perfectly pink prime rib, cooked just slightly under medium rare.
- Prime Rib Roast: 6 lbs
- Butter or Bacon Fat: ¼ Cup, melted
- Black Pepper: 1 tbsp
- Herbs de Provence: 1 tsp
- Kosher Salt: to taste
- This first step is very **IMPORTANT.** Place Rib Roast on a plate and bring to room temperature. This takes ~4 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 500*F
- Mix melted butter/bacon fat with pepper & herbs until well blended. Pour mixture over roast and season well with Salt.
- Cook 6lb roast for 30 minutes in the pre-heated oven. After 30 minutes, turn the oven off, (DO NOT open the door), leave the roast in the oven for another 2 hours.
- Remove roast from oven, slice & serve.
- Roast Size Difference:
If your roast is smaller or bigger, just multiply the weight (in pounds) by 5 to calculate the active cooking time.
For Example: 4 lb roast: 4×5 = 20 minutes of cooking time.
This 4 lb roast is cooked at 500*F for 20 minutes, the oven is turned off, door kept closed, and the roast left in for 2 more hours.
- What if You Want Your Roast Cooked to Medium?
With our 6 lb roast, we added an additional 5 minutes of active cooking.
For Example: 6 lb roast: 6×5 = 30+5 = 35 minutes of cooking time.
This 6 lb roast is cooked at 500*F for 35 minutes, the oven is turned off, door kept closed, and the roast left in for 2 more hours.
GOTTA HAVE GRAVY!
The juices left over from your Prime Rib make for outstanding gravy!
- Beef Juices: ~ ¼ Cup, doesn’t hurt to use more
- All-purpose Flour: 1.5 tbsp
- Beef Bone Broth or Water: 2 Cups
- Salt & Pepper: to taste
- Mix flour with Broth or Water to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk in four-broth paste into Beef Juices, whisking constantly over high heat.
- Keep whisking and add the remaining broth/water, cooking over high heat until mixture thickens.
- Season with Salt & Pepper.
We love pairing our Prime Rib with Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Balsamic Vinegar & Orange Juice baked Beets, and Ceasar Salad.
Cheers & much love,