This is the Perfect Summer Time Recipe for Roasting one of our Pastured Chickens to Sheer Perfection.
- Blue Ridge Farms Chicken: 1, Whole
- Seasoning: 3 Tbsp, see “Seasoning” note below for recipe idea
- Light Beer: 6 oz (12 Tbsp)
- Olive Oil: 2 tsp
- Ketchup: 3 Tbsp
You can purchase pre-made Beer Can Seasonings, and they are often delicious! But it is super easy to make your own, and you likely have these ingredients already in your pantry. Use 2 tsp of each; this makes 3 Tbsp of seasoning total.
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Dried Rosemary
- Preheat oven or BBQ to 350*C
- Mix together 2 Tbsp of your favorite seasoning with 2 tsp Olive Oil in a bowl.
- Take your Pastured Chicken and rub it with the seasoning & oil mixture. Rub everywhere, under the skin, inside the cavity, use it all up.
- Mix together remaining 1 Tbsp seasoning with Beer & Ketchup. We just pour our seasoning and ketchup right into the beer can and swirl it around.
- Place Chicken on top of the beer can. We have a beer can chicken stand that keeps everything from tipping over, though this is not necessary and we did it for many years without one.
- Place Chicken and beer can into a ovenproof dish (dutch oven) if cooking in your oven. Or place an aluminum container under the Chicken and beer can if cooking on the BBQ (grill over indirect heat). The drippings that you will collect from this Chicken are mind-blowing good!
- We either make gravy or use them in other future dishes (ex. Meatloaf, last night we added the chicken juices and some sauerkraut for a twist on Beef meatloaf).
- Cook for 1.5-2 hrs OR until internal temperature of your Chicken reaches 85*C. Please note that smaller chickens will cook faster!
- Once cooked, let rest for 10 mins before carving.
Cheers & much love,