This guide will give you some great info on what to expect for the exciting day at our farm!
DATE: Sunday, August 16th
TIME: 11 am – 4 pm
LOCATION: Blue Ridge Farms, click here for a map.
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Solid, sturdy footwear. Boots, Runners, or sandals with protective edges. You will be walking through a mowed pasture, so flip flops or high heels are not recommended.
- Dress according to the weather. Be “sun safe” if its hot &/or bring a sweater if it’s cool. You will be outside in the fresh open air.
If you suffer from hay fever or any kind of allergies to animals, I would suggest keeping this in mind ahead of time. There will be freshly cut pasture grass, horses, and cattle nearby, likely other animals too, and I want you to have a wonderful time here, not a stuffy nose time. <3
HOW TO GET HERE:
- Here is a map to our farm! It is all paved until you get to our road, which is gravel for ¾ mile. Once on our road (RR 102) and heading north, follow the signs and turn left into the field, drive until you reach the marked parking lot.
- HANDICAP PARKING – if you require handicap parking, go past the regular parking turn off and continue north up our road, there will be a sign that directs you to handicap parking. Turn left into our farm store parking lot and park along the fence line on the right.
- There will be someone to greet you at the entrance gate, if you have any questions, feel free to ask them. COVID masks are not required, but we do ask that you social distance.
NUMBER 1 & 2:
- There are washrooms near the parking lot equipped with toilets and sinks.
- Please be kind to all animals, always.
- Put your garbage in the garbage cans.
- If you’re feeling ill, stay home. Come out another time.
- Leave your beloved pets at home.
- Have fun! 😀
MINI FARMERS MARKET:
- The first vendor you will come to is our wonderful representatives for Woodlands County. They will have masks if you would like one. Our county has kindly donated to help cover some costs of this event, we are most thankful!
- The next vendors are all from our local area and have come to meet you and offer their homemade/hand-grown products. Each vendor has been picked by me personally, as these lovely individuals produce some of the most beautiful, creative, and delicious products you will find!
- COLLETTE’S KITCHEN – Wood-fired sourdough perfection: bread, bagels, baguettes, fresh pizza, and more. Find Collette at www.colletteskitchen.com, and follow her on Instagram @collettes_kitchen.
- MITCH’S MAKES – Home and garden décor with the most beautiful rustic flare, Michelle’s signs make the perfect gift for that hard to shop for person. Follow Michelle on Facebook @Mitchs-Makes
- WHITECOURT MOUNTAIN HONEY – Raw, wildflower honey: comes as regular honey, infused honey, lip balms & scrubs, gift boxes, and more. Find Chantelle at www.wctmtnhoney.ca and follow her on Facebook: @whitecourtrawhoney.
- TWO RIVERS MICROGREENS – Growing nutrient-dense, delicious microgreens: broccoli, beet, speckled pea shoots, mustard, and arugula are just a few to start with. Follow Shannon on Facebook @TwoRiversMicrogreens and Instagram @two_rivers_microgreens.
- FRESH PRODUCE – Farm fresh garlic, onions, potatoes, beets, and more. Grown here in the soil of woodlands county. This fella is old school good, find Cecil at the Whitecourt Farmers markets on Tuesdays from 11 am – 2 pm, find more info on Facebook here: @whitecourtfarmersmarket.
- WOODLANDS COUNTY – Representing Woodlands County, Bert and/or Dawn will be offering swag and masks, and there to help with any questions about our county office. Follow Woodlands on Facebook @woodlandscounty.
Walk on over to the John Deere Green section and check out some of the equipment we run. Take a photo or two with the kids and see in person just how incredible these machines are.
FREE RANGE CHICKENS:
Take a look at our henhouse, this is where all the butt nuggets are laid! Go in, see what a coop looks like, search for some eggs, and see what goodies you find!
This has been a dream of mine, to build a place where families can come, let their children run free, enjoy the fresh air and open space, collect some eggs, see some animals and enjoy the country side.
I also wanted to build a place where local farmers and artisans can bring their incredible products and offer them to the public.
My little farm store will be run as a co-op offering farm-fresh produce, honey, meat, eggs, artwork, preserves, and more. I can’t wait for you to see it and enjoy my farm fresh community too!
- PIZZA: Collette’s Kitchen will be making fresh, wood-fired pizzas on-site for purchase! I tasted her pizza’s last year at the Alberta Open Farm Days market at George Pegg Botanic Gardens, this is where we first met, and this is where I fell in love with her sourdough perfection!
- BBQ: If there is a large turnout of people, we will also be having a BBQ with items for purchase, featuring our homegrown Beef Burgers, Jalapeno & Cheddar Smokies, and Jumbo Hot Dogs.
- BEVERAGES: There will be water, juice, and pop for purchase.
- HORSES: There will be horses on the other side of the fence for families to see and pet, with carrots available for purchase from the Farm Store to feed to the horses!
- PONY RIDES: We have a unicorn pony named Gemma that we will be offering free Pony Rides on from noon to 1 pm and 2 pm to 3 pm.
- CATTLE – there are 261 steers grazing nearby, feel free to take a walk over and listen to them munching away on the grass. Our cows and calves are all out to pasture for the summer and will be returning home in the fall for winter.
- CHICKENS – my free-range hens will be wandering around, watch out for poop! 😉
- PIGS – our pastured pigs are just up the field and across the mesh fence. You may get to see them grazing in there, or laying around in the mud.
KIDS PLAY ZONE
- Farm style swings – enjoy pushing your little one on our horsey swings. Kids love them!
- Milk a cow…well not a real cow, there is a wooden cow that kids (or adults too) can milk from.
- Potato sac races – let your kids and their friends enjoy their own sac race using the start and finish provided!!
- Pizza & BBQ: 11-3.
- Pony Rides: noon – 1 pm & 2 pm – 3 pm.
- Ribbon Cutting for Farm Store grand opening: 1:15 pm.
- Mini farmer’s market: 11 am – 4 pm.
If you have any questions or thoughts at all, please give me a shout anytime, I’m here to answer them!
Cheers & much love,
Edited to add! It may be a good idea to bring a cooler with some ice packs and have it handy in your vehicle, because there might be a goodie or two that tempt your taste buds. 😉