This flavorful pie crust is unlike anything you’ve yet experienced!
What you need:
- VERY Cold Water: ¼ Cup
- Flour: 2 Cups
- Sugar: 1 ½ tbps
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Bacon Fat: ¾ Cup + 2 tbsp
- Egg: ½, beaten
- Place ¼ Cup of cold water into a glass cup and put it in the freezer.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar & salt.
- Lightly blend bacon fat using your pastry cutter, fingers or fork into flour mixture. Don’t over work.
- In a little bowl, beat egg. Pour half out, you don’t need the other half so fry it up for a snack or save it for another dish. Whisk together the ½ beaten egg into the cold water from freezer and pour into the bacon fat mixture.
- Using your hands, kneed it once or twice, just enough to make it come together. Divide dough in half (one half for the bottom of a pie or quiche and one half for the top of a pie). If cooking a quiche, you can wrap the second dough half in cellophane and place it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Sprinkle flour onto counter top and roll out the dough. Arrange rolled dough into pie dish and trim the edges. My Grandma would always pinch the edges of the crust to make it look “fancy”.
- Enjoy and please share this recipe!
Please keep in mind:
- Butter = Bacon fat substitute, it’s just not as good 😉